10 Holiday Tips for Bankers
The Christmas holidays are almost here. Nobody outside your immediate friends and family wants to see you between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. You tell yourself that it’s time for a well-deserved rest.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. On this planet savvy bankers need to use what’s left of the year to keep their momentum in business development. If you’re at a loss for ideas on how to do that, here are some suggestions:
- Keep scheduling appointments with your customers and prospects. If your competitors are too busy attending holiday parties, it may be that much easier to get in to see some people on your list. And if somebody isn’t free before year end, get on their calendar in January 2011. Keep building relationships.
- Show your prospect list to some of your satisfied customers. (If you’re reluctant to do that, sign up for our archived webinar on “Asking Customers for Referrals” at http://mzbierlyconsulting.webex.com.)
- Spend some quality 1 on 1 time with your current COIs. Meet with the CPAs of any of your customers whom you don’t know. (If you’re not sure who they are, add that to this list.)
- Go with a plan to any holiday functions you attend. That might include preparing in advance a list of people you want to talk to or making a commitment to meet 3 new people at the event. (For those of us trying to retain our figures, it could also include steering clear of the canapies.)
- Treat your most important line of business partners to lunch and swap ideas about how to help each other in 2011.
- Call your customers to thank them for their business. If appropriate, see #1 above.
- Schedule time to review your sales efforts in 2010. What specifically do you need to do differently next year?
- Do something nice for your Administrative Assistant.
- Review where you stand with your top prospects. If you’re at an impasse with any of them, set up a time to strategize with your boss on how to proceed. (You can also check out our article on “Getting in the Door: How to Work with Gatekeepers” at http://www.mzbierlyconsulting.com/getting-in-the-door-with-prospects).
- Think about your own professional skills. Are there any courses/ webinars/ books out there that would make you a better banker? Not sure? Ask your bank’s Training Department or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for some ideas.
Our next live webinar is on January 10 at 11 AM Eastern on “Leveraging LinkedIn for Business Development.” You can register by going to http://mzbierlyconsulting.webex.com or by calling Whit Midkiff at 727-741-0766. If you can’t make the live webinar, a recorded version will be available roughly 24 hours after the presentation.